Sunday, September 4, 2011

Our Idiot Brother / Boardwalk Empire/ Margaritas & Tacos

Dear Readers, 


I didn't plan to see a movie Saturday afternoon. 

My mission on Saturday was to see/ride vintage subway cars from the 1920's... (the prohibition era was such a stylish period for our country- so sleek!)  Right now, in NYC- there is a unique promotional event to introduce the new season of the HBO drama- Boardwalk Empire.   Supposedly, there are restored subway cars actually running on the 2/3 line between 42nd st and 72nd St in Manhattan.  I say "supposedly" because I waited about an hour in the Times Square station and I saw nothing but the modern trains... Rather than just having the vintage trains planted in Coney Island- you actually have to wait around on a subway platform in the hopes that one of these gems passes by.   After waiting about an hour, I felt bored and restless.   Defeated- I wondered into the closest movie theatre and decided to watch whatever was playing at that exact time.... and that would be....

Our Idiot Brother... Not the most promising title for a movie- but I figured it can't be too bad since  it stars Paul Rudd- who I've had a mad crush on ever since I saw him in "Clueless" 20 years ago...  Oh yes, I'm dating myself now.   As an only child *sniff* I would often fantasize what it would be like to have a brother.  And one could do worse than Ned- Pot smoking, tree hugging, all around nice, guy that you just want to hug.  No doubt, he is a slacker with a heart of gold and a naivete that is endearing.  But you begin to realize that the true "idiots" in this family are his three sisters- wonderfully played by Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, and Emily Mortimer. 
While the ladies seem to have their lives together- they are not facing the harsh realities of their lives and they are avoiding obvious truths...  Ned's honesty and integrity has a way of jolting the whole family into reality. 
Good supporting cast- interesting dialogue that truly flows- interesting conflicts-  but at the end of the day- this is big budget production so everything ties together in the end.  If only all families could resolve their differences in 2 hours. 

After the film, I went to Patron- a new Mexican restaurant in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan.
I enjoyed margaritas and steak tacos while I shamelessly flirted with the bartender.  Not bad for a Saturday afternoon...   But I and determined to see those vintage trains!  I'll try next weekend...


No comments:

Post a Comment