Saturday, September 10, 2011

No Strings Attached VS Friends With Benefits

Hello dear readers,

      I've come to the realization that I should be a little more discriminating as to what I chose to watch.
I'm referring to No Strings Attached- starring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher
and Friends with Benefits- starring Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake.  I'm reviewing them together because essentially- the films are almost identical-  predictable as peanut butter and jelly.  Both star young attractive actors.  Both films have the same premise- Can platonic friends use each other for a sex-only relationship?  Answer: a resounding NO! Someone gets hurt- friendship ends- one person realizes they miss the other person and they want a real relationship. Everyone lives happily ever after- at least in the movies....
We all know that it doesn't happen this way in real life.  But this is Hollywood- so on a positive note- I will tell you what I did like about both of these films... Yes, with all the crap flying around- I did manage to find a few glimpses of enjoyment from both movies.

    If I were forced to chose better film of these two disasters, I would chose Friends with Benefits.  It's set in NYC- which always wins points for me because I love seeing my favorite city on film.  It gives more of a back-story on the two main characters.   Jenna Elfman, Patricia Clarkson, and Bryan Greenburg all do  fine jobs as dysfunctional/delusional family members so you have an understanding as to why these two people would prefer a sex-only relationship.  I also like that the film actually pokes fun at itself- there are several scenes where the two main characters are watching a "typical chick flick" on tv and they mock the believability of the romance.  Obvious joke- sure.  But I was charmed especially because Jason Segal makes a cameo in this "mock film" as the perfect bumbling man who professes his love as he and his lady ride off in a horse and carriage- awesome!
On top of it all- there is a definite chemistry between Timberlake and Kunis that is undeniable. 

    As for Friends with Benefits.  Oye.  Zero chemistry between the two actors.  Very little back story.
One of my favorite actors, Kevin Kline plays Ashton's father.  His talents were wasted on this lack-luster script.
Hardly any time was spent on Portman's back story.  You just are supposed to believe that she's this busy med student who is emotionally shut down and wants no part of a real relationship- it is Ashton who wants a commitment.  Really?  Um, okay.    And you are also supposed to believe that the very handsome Kutcher is pining for this girl who practically ignores him after a night of sex.   This doesn't mean the film was a complete waste of time.  Lake Bell does a fantastic job as a awkward/ attractive co-worker of Ashton's. She bumbles and fumbles and she would clearly do anything for him yet he barely looks in her direction- she was hilarious.  
The absolute funniest scene happens to be the scene that was shown in almost every commercial and preview for this film.  It was the "Period Mix" scene:  Natalie and her roommates all seem to be on the same menstrual cycle.
When Ashton rings her doorbell he's greeted with "Go AWAY!"  He charmingly replies "But I have CUPCAKES!"  The girls let him in.  In addition to the sweet treats- he ALSO gives Natalie a Mix CD that he made just for her... it has songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Even Flow"  "Red Red Wine" etc. 
As if we couldn't love Ashton Kutcher more.  I wonder if this is how he won over Demi Moore. I guess we'll never know...

I think I ate very sour gummy fish while watching both of these films- so you couldn't tell if I was pursing my lips because of the sour candy or the pursing my lips in judgement of watching ridiculously predictable scenarios. 

If you must watch one of these- films- go with Friends with Benefits- starring Kunis and Timberlake.  Gorgeous shots of NYC.   As for Friends with Benefits- you can always just watch the "Period Mix" scene on YouTube.  It's good for a chuckle. 





No comments:

Post a Comment