Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drive VS Taxi Driver

Dear Readers,

          Earlier this week I had an interesting experience watching Drive- starring Ryan Gosling.
As my movie companion and I arrived at the theatre late- we had no choice but to sit in the second row of the movie theatre.  Oye.  We could almost touch the screen.  I almost couldn't enjoy my popcorn!  (I said almost)  Tip: if you find yourself in this uncomfortable seating- try to sit in the far right or far left of the row.  If you sit in the center you will be forced to creak your head back and forth as if you're watching a crazed tennis match. 

          As for the film itself-- I must say I really wanted to like Drive.  The premise interested me and it did have a promising beginning.  Strong and silent Gosling is a stunt driver for the movies by day- and by night he works as a driver for an illegal heists.  Throw in a little romance and scary mob bosses and you've got something for everyone- right? Wrong.  The script just wasn't there...

         Let's start with the romance- Gosling and Carey Mulligan are neighbors who meet- exchanged hellos- then they have several scenes where they awkwardly smile and stare at each other for what feels like an eternity.  No doubt these two have chemistry, but I like to hear actual dialogue between characters.  The initial silence was intriguing- but after a while- it gets dull.  The Italians call it "Pasta Sensa Salsa."  Perhaps this film was made during one of the many writer's strikes and they just didn't get around to writing dialogue?  Guess we'll never know. 

          Secondly, I wanted a back story for Gosling's character- he goes from strong and silent to and violent and crazy in the blink of an eye.  No build-up at all.  During the first bloody scene, an audience member shouted "Well that came out of nowhere!"  I couldn't agree more.  There was no real indication that this man was a loose cannon.    
           
          Then there was an interesting casting choice with Albert Brooks- the man who has spent a life-time in comedic roles is cast as a scary mob boss. Really? I guess Jerry Seinfeld wasn't available?  No disrespect to Mr Brooks- he's a legend.   I admire the fact that he wanted to play a role that is outside his norm- but it was just hard to embrace this snugly funny man as a violent character. 

      As an aside- I was genuinely happy to see that Christina Hendricks was cast in this movie- if only she had a bigger part.  I love her work on Mad Men and I think she's gorgeous curvaceous woman who does not subscribe to the Hollywood pressures of dieting to the point of becoming a walking skeleton.  She's my hero!   But I digress...

   
         I could see how some would find this film entertaining.  There were plenty of fast car chases and gorgeous women who don't utter a word- I can see how this movie could appeal to a man's baser instincts.    There was one scene in particular that was so unbelievably sexist that I was dumbfounded.  (Slight spoiler alert)   Out of nowhere, a fight ensues in the dressing room of a strip club.  The naked ladies don't scream and run at this bloody display- they sit calmly and observe this fight- not even one eyebrow goes up.  Mind you, the ladies weren't forced to stay- or held at gunpoint.  They just sit there and calmly watch this violent fight- completely naked and cool as cucumbers.  Nobody even grabs a towel.  Really?  Don't get me wrong- I have no problem with nudity in films- but this was simply gratuitous and nowhere based in reality. 

      Half way through the movie- I couldn't help but think of the iconic 1976 film Taxi Driver
I know all the Scorsese and DeNiro fans are gasping right now- but stay with me...
Both Drive and Taxi Driver have leading men who are silent and brooding.  Both of these characters have awkward relationships and are prone to violent outbursts. Both drive for a living.  Whether or not this was the intention- Drive is clearly a nod to Taxi Driver.  Even the wardrobe, editing, and styling of Drive has a 70's inspired look.   

        But the immense difference is this.  Once you see Taxi Driver- it will be etched in your memory forever.   Taxi Driver has an amazing screenplay with rich multi-dimensional characters.  Superb acting and direction make this the film that has inspired countless aspiring film makers and actors.  Even people who have never seen the film knows the iconic line "Are you talking to ME?"  Taxi Driver is more than a film, it's part of American history and culture.  If you have never seen this film- do yourself a favor and rent it today. I promise it will rock your world.  

           As for Drive, there were some interesting moments and the film has a cool retro vibe.  Some will find it entertaining.  And hey- I got to stare at Ryan Gosling for two hours- how bad can that be, right? 
See you next time! 




  

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from the post-apocalyptic future of 2015...

    You should have used the image of Robert De Niro/Ryan Gosling standing in front of a car, when I saw it for the first time for Drive, I really couldn't help but think of Taxi Driver. In case you don't know which one I'm talking about, google Drive and look at images. James Sallis and Nicolas Winding Refn must've gotten a lot of inspiration from Taxi Driver but if you were to ask them, they would probably deny it, I just have a feeling you know...

    ReplyDelete