Friday, September 16, 2011

Contagion- I was on the edge of my seat- who can remember what I ate?!

Dear Readers,

      It's been a while since I can honestly say I watched a film that completely captured my attention...
A film that hooked me into the story with interesting characters, strong acting, and superb editing...
Contagion fits the bill.  It is set in present day- a new virus is sweeping the world and taking thousands of lives.
The symptoms come on fast, and the victims die very quickly.  There is no vaccine or cure.
As the government and pharmaceutical industries scramble to find a solution- chaos ensues.
Looting, theft, and crime, are at an all-time high.  We see how the in the face of life-threatening situations, human beings can either rise to the occasion and show the best of their humanity- or the absolute worst. 

     Matt Damon does a superb job as a newly-widowed man who is trying to protect his teenage daughter. 
Not since Good Will Hunting has Matt Damon impressed me this much.  Jude Law does a fantastic job as a popular blogger speaking out against the Government.  He has millions of followers and isn't afraid to make his mark on society.  He was complex and compelling.  Jude Law is always an interesting actor to watch- he makes interesting choices. There was not one "week link" in the ensemble of characters- from Gwyneth Paltrow to Kate Winslet to Elliot Gould.  I was enthralled from beginning to end.

   I watched the film at Hoboken's Clearview Cinema.  I was accompanied by two friends who enjoyed the film just as much as I did... I think I we ate popcorn and soda- but I honestly don't remember because I was so engrossed in the film I barely paid attention to the snacks. (I'm an Italian who loves food- so that's saying alot!) 

    Now, I do talk to many people about the films I watch and it seems that not everyone agrees with me in regards to this film.  There are some nay-sayers who claim that the film doesn't have closure.  In fact, as we were leaving the theatre, I heard an audience member shout out "Merde!"  I guess you can't please everyone.  To a degree, I understand this kind of reaction.  If you are accustomed to watching Hollywood films-  you naturally want to see the bad guys get their retribution,  and you want to see the good guys ride off into the sunset.   This film does not provide this kind of closure.  In fact, you're not always sure who is the "bad" or "good" guy.   Like real life, not everyone gets their happy ending.  Unscrupulous people do sometimes go under the radar and get away with their crimes.  And good people are not always rewarded for their good deeds.  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.   

     I personally loved this film and I highly recommend it.  It may not have the Hollywood Ending we are all used to, however it does illustrate the best and worst of humanity.  And who could ask for more than that?




No comments:

Post a Comment