Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Afternoons With Marguerite- French with English Subtitles

After weeks of predictable Hollywood productions, It was a pleasure to take in a foreign film.
I went to the Claridge Clearview Theater in Montclair with a good friend.
Right before the film, we dined at "Raymond's" a quaint restaurant on Church St.  I've always enjoyed Raymond's because of it's interesting atmosphere.  It feels like to a throw back to a simpler time.  The walls are done in white subway tiles, the tables and the shelves on the walls display multi-colored soda fountain bottles.   It's clearly a 1950's inspired decor, but there is no retro kitch.  I usually love kitchy decor- but this place doesn't need it.  It's whimsical and charming- yet understated at the same time.
I enjoyed a vegetarian chili that was clearly made with love... it warmed me up from the sudden autumn chill that's in the air...
   
Onto the film,  My Afternoons with Marguerite.  It's a simple story about a illiterate man who befriends an well educated elderly woman.  She introduces him to the wonders of great literature.  Their love is not sexual, but it's a wonderful connection.
This is the type of movie that will not have you on the edge of your seat, or rolling in laughter.  But it is the kind of movie that you will reflect on as a perfect example of human connection.

Gerard Depardieu is a genius of an actor.  Everything he does and says is so engaging- and this film is no exception.  He makes eating a sandwich look interesting!  Gisele Casadesus is a triumph as Marguerite- an elderly woman with the spirit of a child with a twinkle in her eye.  The supporting cast is remarkable and brings the story to a brilliant, realistic level.  
 
I'm usually a bit more critical about films.   Perhaps I'm just biased about this film because it's in French.  There is something about hearing the French language spoken.... Everytime I heard a fluent French speaker I'm put in a trance.  It is probably one of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world.  I hear it spoken and the vowels and consonants simply wash over me.  I'm helpless to it's charms. 

See you next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment