Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FRIGHT NIGHT / Clearview Cinemas / Popcorn and Mike N Ike Candy

Dear Readers,

Tonight I found myself at Hoboken's Clearview Cinema for a showing of "Fright Night" starring Colin Farrell....

The Clearview is a charming (small) and clean theatre.  For some reason, I'm always amused when the ushers actually enter the theatre and make an announcement "Hi everyone, my name is John, I'll be your usher this evening.  Please let me know if you need anything...."   Really John?  I should let YOU know if I need anything? How 'bout a neck rub? Better yet- can you get me some of those little soft pretzel nuggets that every theatre always seems to be out of?   During tonight's film, there was a very loud group of hooligans who would erupt into gaggles of laughter when scenes were far from funny.   I wanted to call John and say "John, dear... please deal with this riff-raff.  They're getting in the way of my Clearview experience!"   But alas, John was nowhere to be found.  Oh well...

As for the movie- Fright Night.  Aye me, what can I say?  As a True Blood fan I was really looking forward to this movie.  But I didn't know exactly what to expect as it's being advertised as a "horror/comedy."  To be honest, it was neither...  It stars Colin Farrell as the hot, friendly new neighbor that moves in next door...but this neighbor has a secret that everyone learns about just too quickly.   But unlike the vampires on True Blood,  Mr Farrell actually keeps his clothes on for the entire film.  With all the violence, fire, and brimstone, you'd think he'd at least lose his shirt.  That wife beater stayed on for dear life. 

Toni Collette has a supporting role, but I really wish she had more pivotal part.  She is a great actress who could have really brought this movie up a notch.  David Tennant plays a saucy Vegas magician that added some nice flavor and I really would have loved to see more of him as well.   Instead, much of the movie's plot revolved around the whiny teenage characters.  I didn't sign up for a Twilight-esk movie. I prefer my vampires and their victims to be grownups.

The beginning was engaging,  and I actually enjoyed the first few cliches- (small spoiler alert) ... Scary Vampire is chasing the main character... where does he run? Down to street? To the police?  No! He runs INTO the abandoned house.  And does he run out the back door?   Nope! He runs UP the stairs and INTO a closet so he's completely trapped!   This was one of the few scenes I actually enjoyed.  Sometimes predictability can be immensely entertaining.  It's too bad they didn't have the main character receive a scary phone call and then realize that the call was coming from inside the house!  I've always loved that scenario...

I could have done without the odd face prosthetics and mouths so filled with pointed teeth, they looked like sharks.  All I wanted to see on Colin were 1 set of simple fangs- less is more.  Just cause he's biting necks and killing doesn't mean he can't still be attractive....perhaps Colin could go to True Blood Charm School.
At least the movie was in 3D- so periodically- blood, silver bullets, etc would shoot off the screen to revive me out of my boredom. 

During this fiasco, my movie companion and I shared many snide remarks and ate yummy Mike And Ike Candy and Popcorn with White Cheddar Seasoning... making the popcorn the highlight of our evening!

My advice, Fright Night is definitely a rental that you must watch with friends so you can take turns mocking the movie. 








No comments:

Post a Comment